• Appropriate attire
• Proper handshake
• Good posture and eye contact
• Good voice tone and speed of speech
• Enthusiastic attitude
• Examples to back up strengths
• Avoiding negative comments
• Using Winning Futures in the pitch
• Using interviewer name and company name
• Thanking the interviewer
Next, students and mentors took part in a mock career fair where each mentor moved from team to team to hear students’ pitches and give them feedback. This enabled students to hone their pitches based on advice from a working professional – someone they may one day actually interview for a job with!
You too can use this process to help students get comfortable speaking about themselves and delivering their interview pitches in a natural and fluid manner. Many lessons like these that you can implement in your own classrooms and youth programs are also outlined in Winning Futures’ “Achieving Success” workbook. Click on the “Purchase Books” button at left to learn more.